Thursday, May 20, 2010

Travel Tribulations

Recently I asked my Facebook Fans to share what their most dreaded part of traveling for business was.  Although I’m pumped for my next trip out of town I can’t help but be a little wary knowing my history.

I seem to give off a vibe when I travel which results in wackiness such as the time:
·         My hotel gave me a key for an already occupied room. (Thankfully no one was inside at the time I entered)
·         My hotel gave me a key for an already occupied room (and a couple was getting cozy- YIKES!)  Total mortification.
·         I went to London amidst a Tube-strike and still had to figure out how to get to and from various client meetings while fighting for a limited number of black cabs.
·         I was getting settled in my quaint London suite when I heard the toilet running. After jiggling the handle a few times to no avail, I lifted the porcelain tank cover and it fell to the floor into a million pieces. Total mortification (again). 
·         I went to Cleveland for a day trip and got stuck overnight unexpectedly. No toothbrush, no contact solution and it was so late when we arrived at the hotel that the hotel store was CLOSED.  Since my hubby was also out of town at the time I had to arrange for my cousin who lived 30+ miles away to check in on my dog 3x! Argh…
o       When we finally did touch back down in DC there was a security breach and our “people mover” bus was held up. When everything was safe and we were finally released, my Creative Director and I were in the Amazing Race to make a client presentation. Those were the longest 2 days of my life, and I really needed a long hot shower.
·         Vendors took a few of us ladies out for a night in New Orleans.  All I can write is that ‘What happens in Nawlins, stays in Nawlins.’ 

Amazingly I can now look back on these events and laugh more than cringe. The lessons they’ve taught me? Flexibility when you travel is key. None of these situations was under my control and despite the challenges; I still had a job to do. 

If I hadn’t been working on little sleep after the Cleveland debacle, my adrenaline for next days client presentation might not have been as high. We hit that presentation out of the park and I was so glad to get home, take the dog for a walk and have a glass of wine.

I also learned that sincerely apologizing diffuses most uncomfortable situations. Whether it be to the nice couple who didn’t expect company in their hotel room, or the hotel concierge who probably could have raked me over the coals for a replacement tank cover, I came out of it unscathed and with good stories to pass on to pals like you.

Wish me luck this week as I head out for my trip. Or don’t, and if you’re lucky I’ll have some funny story to share with you when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment