Thursday, May 13, 2010

When in doubt, clean

Woke up one Saturday morning knowing that after a long week my husband was off to another 14 hour day at the office. Boo.  I treasure our weekends together. Not only do I get a small break from being a WAHM and the main source of entertainment for our 4 year old, but we usually find some family-fun activity to waste away our weekend.  They always go by too quickly, but they re-energize me for our week ahead.

I could not have been grumpier when I woke up that day. After breakfast, the cartoons went on and I searched for something to motivate me.  What to do? What to do?

When in doubt, I clean.  There is something cathartic about cleaning that always brings me clarity. I do it when I’m bored, stressed, and angry. Almost for any negative emotion.  My husband knows the signs and usually steers clear.  Now don’t get any ideas like inviting me over to your house for a thorough spring cleaning. I’m usually in my PJs, sweating my butt off and not in the mood for conversation and/or help. It turns into a “get out of my way and let me scrub this floor until it sparkles… OR ELSE!” personal tirade.

But then… Ah. Sweet relief.  In my scrubbing, wiping, washing, organizing, vacuuming- somewhere in all of that mindless exercise, I gain clarity.  I have worked out whatever I’m stressed out about that day, or I’ve come to terms with whomever/whatever I’m angry about and figured out a solution.  It’s like therapy without the co-pay.

This morning the toys are (mostly) away, the kitchen smells lemony-fresh, the gifts for upcoming celebrations are all wrapped and I came up with a fun activity filled plan for my Mommy-daughter Saturday.  The ironing will have to wait.

1 comment:

  1. I too find so much stress relief in cleaning. I don't want to start, but when I do, I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete