Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Importance of Junk Mail

Junk mail. We all get it. We’ve also been taught over the years, ways to overcome loads of it in your mailbox.


• Sort immediately

• Pay the bills

• File the necessities

• Chuck the junk

In business however, junk mail is a gold mine. Over the years I’ve come to appreciate and save some fantastic pieces of “junk mail”. Maybe a cool packaging concept caught my eye. Or a great headline that made me have to tear into the envelope. These often helped me in the brainstorming process while developing direct mail campaigns for my clients.

If you are a small business owner, I hope you’ve identified your competitors. If you have, have you been on their website? Signed up for their RSS feeds? Asked to be on their mailing list?

Seeding your name is a great way to keep abreast of new trends and to keep an eye on the competition. Another tip: Sign up with a variation of your name. Ex. EN Schlesier instead of Eileen Nicole Schlesier. As you are sorting your mail you will easily be able to pick out your seeds.

Happy Sorting!


No comments:

Post a Comment