Tuesday, February 2, 2010

“If you work really hard and are kind, amazing things will happen”

Do you recognize the quote? Its one that I can’t seem to get out of my mind since Conan O’Brien’s last broadcast. I’m not a die-hard late night TV watcher. Heck, I’m lucky if I see 10 o’clock. But I will say, I was excited when Conan took over The Tonight Show from Jay Leno. I saw the very first episode and 7 months later I was disheartened to see NBC folly.

If I wasn’t already on Team-Conan, he had me during his last two broadcasts. It was a professional and humble final speech which included an inspirational goodbye and the fabulous quote I mentioned above.

I have not been able to stop thinking about how true his statement is. I’ve been known to subscribe to the “Work Hard. Play Hard.” mentality but in all honesty, who wants to work and/or play with someone who isn’t nice? I’m sure all of Jay Leno’s staffers would stand up to say that their boss is the king-of-nice for saving their jobs, but I can’t help thinking that his ego brought him back to the Tonight Show without any regard for the career and livelihood of Conan O’Brien and his staffers.

I for one look forward to September to see where Conan lands. He’s already had offers from an adult-film company and the Mrs. Fields cookie company. Not sure those are the directions he is likely to head, but wasn’t that kind?

No comments:

Post a Comment