Ever feel like your career is eating you alive? That the stress you bring home after a day of work carries over into your personal life and may even be affecting your health? Then you may need the 5 Day Career Detox.
Detoxification is about resting, cleaning and nourishing the body from the inside out. By removing and eliminating toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect you from disease and renew your ability to maintain optimum health.
Well how do we apply that to your work situation?
- Day 1 Evaluate Your Current Circumstances. Determine what is toxic. A team mate? A project? Your boss? The entire company that employs you? This may be a time for little changes such as angling to partner with a new group of team mates, or it may be as drastic as coming to the realization that you are miserable in your current industry. Have an honest conversation with yourself. Ask yourself: Is this project/job/company going to help me reach my ultimate goals? What is making me miserable? Then vow to change it.
- Day 2 Purge Negativity. Instead, choose happiness, choose contentment. Attitude is key. Don’t let the little things get you down. One trick is to sit down every day and write down at least three things that you are thankful for. Start small: your morning cup of joe. Aim for bigger: I’m thankful for my mentor.
- Day 3 Be Selfish. No one else is looking out for you. Be assured, your boss is looking out for him/herself. You make great things happen in your career. Always be on the lookout for the next big career move. It could mean changing departments, or changing career direction entirely. Don’t have a mentor yet? Find one.
- Day 4 Nourish Your Soul. Surround yourself with positive people. Take a long hard look at your faithful lunch mate. Does he/she bring you up? Or do they suck your energy? If it’s the latter, begin the process of surrounding yourself with a new healthy group of people. Forgo PEOPLE magazine and ask friends to recommend uplifting books that they have currently read. Have you been skipping the gym? Ease yourself back in with a nice long walk blaring your favorite tunes on your iPod. A good friend brings positivity to her harried work day with a simple purchase: Tulips for her desk when she is feeling down.
- Day 5 Reflect. Starting to feel the cloud lift? You’re almost there. Day 5 is all about the previous 4 days journey. Ask yourself: What have I learned? This new awareness of what toxins affect you will change the rules of engagement when presented with choices in the future.